Former Alabama walk-on Rowdy Harrell, who was a member of the 2009, 2011, and 2012 national championship teams before embarking on a career as a member of a NASCAR pit crew, was killed in a car accident last night in the Florida Keys. Harrell’s wife of three days, Blakley, was also killed. The two were married this past weekend and were traveling to the Keys for their honeymoon. The accident happened on Lower Matecumbe Key.
Harrell was hired by Hendrick Motorsports performance director Chris Burkey, who was a Miami Dolphins scout during Nick Saban’s tenure, not long after finishing his degree. Harrell would serve as a tire carrier for the 88 car team during Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s final years as a driver, and for Alex Bowman the past couple of seasons. He was also part of two Xfinity Series championship teams with Earnhardt’s JR Motorsports.
- Statement from Hendrick Motorsports.
- Hendrick posted this “A Day in the Life” clip with Harrell this past summer.
- We dug up a number of archival pieces on Harrell’s career path into NASCAR, from WBRC, Alabama News Center, Tuscaloosa News, Sports Illustrated, and Hendrick Motor Sports.
Some former teammates remember Harrell:
The rest of the day seems trivial, but we’ll try to cover it anyways. Xavier McKinney returned to practice for the New York Giants today for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot prior to the beginning of the season. The Giants have three weeks to activate him, but could possibly activate him for Week 12. In other injury news, Mark Barron, who returned to practice a couple of weeks ago, was activated by Denver today.
Cleveland.com ran a really good profile on Ronnie Harrison, noting his propensity to help others.
The first round of Pro Bowl fan balloting was announced today, with Derrick Henry and Marlon Humphrey leading the voting at their positions in the AFC.
Stephanie Meadow credits a change back to her old putter for her success this past weekend.
Robert Howard appears on the latest SwimSwam podcast to discuss the recently-concluded ISL Season 2.
FIBA’s Eurobasket qualifiers resume this week. Retin Obasohan gives some play-by-play commentary on some of his noteworthy plays representing Belgium in the last round of qualifiers.
Haylie McCleney has launched a line of merchandise, featuring her logo and her “Outties Rule” motto.
- Mark Barron – activated from Injured Reserve by Denver
Week 12 Game Status Report
- Questionable – Reggie Ragland (ankle).
- Doubtful –
- Out – Ryan Anderson (knee), Da’Shawn Hand (groin).
Wednesday Practice Report
- Did Not Practice – Ryan Anderson (knee), Da’Shawn Hand (groin), Ryan Kelly (neck), Cam Robinson (illness), Jedrick Wills (illness).
- Limited Participation – James Carpenter (groin), Raekwon Davis (thumb), Ronnie Harrison (knee), Jerry Jeudy (achilles, ankle), Julio Jones (hamstring), Reggie Ragland (ankle), Calvin Ridley (foot), J.K. Scott (back, right quadricep), Irv Smith (groin, back), Tua Tagovailoa (left thumb).
- Full Participation – N/A
BASKETBALL Morón 71, Algeciras 69. Bola Olaniyan (ALG) – 21 minutes, 5 points (1-2 FG, 3-8 FT), 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 turnover, 1 foul. Leganes 68, Melilla 63. Alana Gonçalo Da Silva (MEL) – 38 minutes, 20 points (4-9 2pg, 4-7 3pg, 0-2 FT), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 5 turnovers, 4 fouls. Lugano 66, Monthey 48. Arthur Edwards (MON) – 19 minutes, 12 points (4-11 2pg, 1-5 3pg, 1-2 FT), 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 blocks, 4 turnovers, 4 fouls.