Justin Thomas was officially added to the U.S. Ryder Cup today, as team captain Zach Johnson announced his six captain’s picks. Thomas’ spot on the team was thought to the tenuous due to his 2022-23 season performance, but his overall record of 16-5-3 in Ryder Cups and Presidents Cups made it difficult to leave him off the team. Johnson said at the announcement ceremony that “you just don’t leave JT at home.”
NFL teams were required to trim rosters to 53 players by 4pm ET today, and Eli Ricks made the initial Philadelphia Eagles’ roster as an undrafted free agent. LaBryan Ray, undrafted in the 2022 draft, also made an initial roster for the first time (Ray spent last season on practice squad injured reserve in New England). Ray, who spent the spring in the USFL, signed with Carolina after training camp started, and was one of two USFL players to make initial 53-man rosters. Roster cuts are listed below.
The Denver Broncos expect Jerry Jeudy to be able to avoid short-term Injured Reserve. Jeudy suffered a hamstring injury in practice a couple of weeks ago.
Xavier McKinney was named as one of the New York Giants’ team captains for 2023.
Collin Sexton wants to show the Utah Jazz that he’s 100% healthy and ready to “run the show.”
Roman Harper will be co-hosting (with Cole Cubelic) Read and React, a new weekly show on SEC Network. Read and React debuts next Monday night.
Scenes and Highlights
- Da’Shawn Hand – released by the Miami Dolphins.
- Ronnie Harrison – released by the Indianapolis Colts.
- Cam Sims – released by the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Deonte Brown – waived by the Carolina Panthers.
- Derrick Gore – waived by the Washington Commanders.
- Christopher Allen – waived with an injury designation by the Denver Broncos.
- D.J. Dale – waived by the Buffalo Bills.
- Shyheim Carter – waived by the Tennessee Titans.
- Kendall Randolph – waived by the Seattle Seahawks.
- Slade Bolden – waived by the Atlanta Falcons.
- Tyrell Shavers – waived by the Buffalo Bills.
- Jaylen Moody – waived by the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Cameron Latu – placed on the Reserve / Injured list by the San Francisco 49ers.
- Aaron Robinson – placed on the Reserve / Physically Unable to Perform list by the New York Giants.
- Cam Robinson – placed on the Reserve / Suspended list by the NFL.
- Jameson Williams – placed on the Reserve / Suspended list by the NFL.
- Jake Walters – assigned to the Pensacola Blue Wahoos of the Southern League.
- Jimmy Nelson – sent on a rehab assignment to the Oklahoma City Dodgers.
GOLF LPGA Tour Qualifying Stage I, Rd 2: Benedetta Moresco – 73-65, -6, T12 Sarah Edwards (a) – 74-72, +2, T120 GPro Tour Columbia Open Rd 1 (suspended): Jake DeZoort – 71, -1, T69 Jonathan Hardee – 71, -1, T69 BASEBALL Wilmington 6, Hudson Valley 3. Andrew Pinckney (RF) – 1-4, 1 single, 1 BB, 1 run. Quebec 3, New York 2. Tommy Seidl (LF) – 1-4, 1 double. Florence 12, Schaumburg 3. Ed Johnson (SS) – 2-4, 1 double, 1 single, 1 RBI. Omaha 4, Louisville 3. Tyler Gentry (RF) – 1-3, 1 single, 1 BB, 1 RBI, 1 SB, 1 run. Springfield 5, NW Arkansas 3. Peyton Wilson (2B) – 2-5, 2 singles. Round Rock 10, Oklahoma City 9. Jimmy Nelson – 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP.