This will be the Tua Edition of the Daily Recap! Around 11:30 this morning, Adam Schefter (ESPN) broke the news that the Miami Dolphins plan to name Tua Tagovailoa as its starter, effective with the Dolphins’ next game in Week 8 (the Dolphins are on a bye for Week 7).
The report was later tacitly confirmed by Tagovailoa himself, who was re-posting congratulatory messages on Instagram, and also his mother, who confirmed the new on an interview with WBRC in Birmingham.
Some links of reactions to the news in the Miami and NFL media:
- MMQB says that the move gives Miami a better shot at the playoffs.
- The Palm Beach Post reached out to Tagovailoa’s former offensive coordinator Mike Locksley for his reaction.
- More from the Palm Beach Post on the excitement surrounding the franchise.
- Miami Herald looks at why Miami is making the move now.
- The Sun-Sentinel’s take on the change.
- ESPN notes that the Dolphins have set Tua up for success.
- More from ESPN on the change in starters.
KHON in Honolulu weighs in on the story as well.
In other items from the day, Alexa Guarachi is the cover story for the latest issue of El Mercurio in Chile.
Collin Sexton did an AMA with Bleacher Report.
Golfweek did an article on former Alabama golfer Bob Mathers, who was an integral part of the 1979 SEC Championship team. Mathers, 63, played in Golfweek’s Sandestin Amateur this week.
Jenny Suh captured the crown at the South Florida PGA’s inaugural Women’s Sectional Championship. Suh, -6, won the event by three strokes.
Shyheim Carter, who worked out for the Atlanta Falcons last week, was formally signed to the Falcons’ practice squad today.
Matt Zenitz of AL.com reported this evening that Washington plans to sign Robert Foster off the Green Bay practice squad. Foster’s agency seemingly confirmed the news with a late-night tweet.
- Saivion Smith – Waived by the Dallas Cowboys.
- Shyheim Carter – Signed to the Atlanta Falcons’ practice squad.
- Maurice Smith – Released from the Tennessee Titans’ practice squad.
- Ross Pierschbacher – Protected on the practice squad for Week 7 by Washington.
GOLF South Florida PGA Women's Sectional Championship final: Jenny Suh - 66-72, -6, 1st (wins by 3) Golfweek Sandestin Amateur final: Jake DeZoort – 72-71-69, -1, 9th Bob Mathers – 75-73-75, +10, T25 TENNIS ITF Macon 80K, Doubles Rd of 16: Erin Routliffe / N Brady lost to 4-seed Danilina Raina 6-3, 6-4.