NFL teams had to reduce rosters to 80 players today, leading to a flurry of activity involving Alabama players. The Las Vegas Raiders released Kenyan Drake after being unable to find a trade partner. As expected, 2022 draft picks Jameson Williams (knee) and John Metchie (knee, leukemia) were placed on the Reserved / NFI list, and will have to miss a minimum of 4 games (Metchie is expected to miss the entire season). Elsewhere, Slade Bolden, who’s undergoing sports hernia surgery this week, was waived by Baltimore with an injury designation, and will revert to Injured Reserve after he clears waivers tomorrow. Derrick Gore was placed on Injured Reserve by Kansas City, ending his season. And Shaun Dion Hamilton was released by Detroit.
Maruschka Waldus has decided to forego another season in her native Netherlands, and has signed the Adelaide United of Australia for the Liberty A-League’s upcoming 2022-23 season. Waldus played with Adelaide two years ago, and was awarded the team’s Dianne Alagich Medal (its equivalent of team MVP) for her season.
John Metchie made a surprise visit to the Houston Texans’ practice session today, marking the first time he’s physically been with the team since his recent leukemia diagnosis..
Scenes and Highlights
- Kenyan Drake – released by the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton – released by the Detroit Lions.
- John Metchie – placed on the Reserve / Non-Football Illness list by the Houston Texans.
- Jameson Williams – placed on the Reserve / Non-Football Injury list by the Detroit Lions.
- Slade Bolden – waived with an injury designation by the Baltimore Ravens.
- Derrick Gore – placed on the Reserve / Injured list by the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Shyheim Carter – cleared waivers and became a free agent.
- Maruschka Waldus – signed with Adelaide United of Australia’s Liberty A-League for the 2022-23 season.
- Jordan Bruner – signed with SK Slavia Praha of Czech Republic’s NBL.
- Justin King – assigned to ACL Brewers Blue of the Arizona Complex League on a rehab assignment.
BASEBALL ACL Brewers Gold 5, ACL Brewers Blue 4 (F/7). Justin King – 1 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K. Richmond 8, Akron 5 (F/10). Brett Auerbach (2B) – 1-3, 1 single, 2 BB, 1 RBI, 1 run. Quad Cities 3, Dayton 1. Peyton Wilson (2B) – 3-3. 1 double, 2 singles, 1 BB, 1 RBI, 1 run. Montgomery 9, Pensacola 5. Cobie Fletcher-Vance (3B) – 0-3, 1 BB, 1 run. Northwest Arkansas 8, Springfield 7. Tyler Gentry (RF) – 2-4, 2 singles, 1 BB, 2 RBI, 1 run; 1 OF assist. Morgan McCullough (2B) – 1-3, 1 single, 1 BB, 1 RBI, 1 run. Fresno 8, Stockton 7. Tyler Ras (H, 3) – 2 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K.