Irv Smith Jr. had knee surgery this morning, and the meniscus repair was more extensive than the team had previously homed. Timetable for Smith’s return is now 4-5 months. Smith was placed on Injured Reserve, and is eligible to return before season’s end.
NFL teams began signing players to their respective practice squads today, and many of the Alabama players who were waived yesterday signed to their teams’ practice squads after clearing waivers. Among the couple of surprises: Christian Miller signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers’ practice squad, and Andre Smith, who was released a couple of weeks ago, signed with the Baltimore Ravens’ practice squad. San Francisco GM John Lynch indicated in his press conference today that the team is in talks with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to sign him to its practice squad.
Major League Baseball rosters expanded to 28 players (from 26) today, and a few Alabama players benefited from the expansion. The Washington Nationals reinstated Alex Avila from the injured list, and David Robertson (as was reported yesterday) and Matt Foster were recalled by the Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago White Sox, respectively.
Annika Zeyen picked up a silver medal at the Tokyo Paralympics today, finishing second in the Road Cycling 26km road race. Zeyen also picked up a gold medal in the 16km time trials yesterday.
Erin Routliffe’s appearance at this year’s US Open is another milestone for her, as she’s climbed the WTA doubles rankings.
Eddie Jackson’s “BoJacks” cereal is now available in the Chicago area. A portion of the proceeds go to Jackson’s Remain to Reach Foundation.
Mac Jones has inked a trading card deal with SuperGlow Cards, which featured a card based on Jones’ viral photo in the locker room following a Tennessee game. SuperGlow’s selections included five different cards, all five of which reportedly sold out in five minutes.
Tua Tagovailoa comments on Mac Jones getting the Patriots’ starting job in his press appearance today. See his media availability in its entirety below.
Sending prayers for former Alabama player and coach Jimmy Fuller, who has been moved to hospice care as he battles COVID-19.
Anthony Averett will return to his high school alma mater on Friday afternoon to distribution back-to-school supplies to students in grades 6 through 12.
Full video of Tua Tagovailoa’s press appearance today.
Jalen Hurts’ media session in Philadelphia today:
Jerry Jeudy’s media availability in Denver today:
Peyton Wilson was the pre-game show guest for the Columbia Fireflies broadcast tonight. Wilson was assigned to the Fireflies over the weekend.
Scenes and Highlights
- Alex Avila – activated from the 10-Day Injured List by the Washington Nationals.
- David Robertson – recalled by the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Matt Foster – recalled by the Chicago White Sox.
- Irv Smith, Jr. – placed on the Reserve / Injured list by the Minnesota Vikings.
- Andre Smith – signed to the practice squad by the Baltimore Ravens.
- Gehrig Dieter – signed to the practice squad by the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Tony Brown – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Shyheim Carter – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Houston Texans.
- Lester Cotton – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Las Vegas Raiders.
- B.J. Emmons – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Las Vegas Raiders.
- Miller Forristall – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Tennessee Titans.
- Robert Foster – went unclaimed on waivers and became a free agent.
- Derrick Gore – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Kansas City Chief.
- Jared Mayden – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the San Francisco 49ers.
- Christian Miller – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Ross Pierschbacher – went unclaimed on waivers; signed to the practice squad by the Philadelphia Eagles.
- J.K. Scott – went unclaimed on waivers and became a free agent.
- Saivion Smith – went unclaimed on waivers and became a free agent.
- Carl Tucker – went unclaimed on waivers and became a free agent.
- Cole Mazza – went unclaimed on waivers; reverted to the Reserve / Injured list for the Los Angeles Chargers.
- ArDarius Stewart – released by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
ROAD CYCLING Paralympics Road Cycling Women’s H1-H4 26.4km Road Race Annika Zeyen - 56:21, 2nd WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL Paralympics Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Quarterfinal Spain 71, Germany 68. Ignacio Ortega - 6 minutes, 4 points. Paralympics Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Quarterfinal Great Britain 66, Canada 52. Bo Hedges – 38 minutes, 8 points. Paralympics Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Quarterfinal Japan 61, Australia 55. Michael AuPrince – 10 minutes, 4 points. Jannik Blair – 34 minutes, 6 points. GOLF Forme Tour Rolling Green Championship Rd 1 (suspended). Jonathan Hardee - +3 thru 9, T63. SOCCER OL Reign 1, Houston 0 Celia Jiménez Delgado – no stats; subbed in at 89’. BASEBALL San Antonio 2, Amarillo 0 (Gm 1, F/7). Kyle Overstreet (DH) – 0-2 San Antonio 5, Amarillo 4 (Gm 2, F/7). Kyle Overstreet (DH) – 0-2, 1 BB. Lansing 4, Dayton 3 (Gm 1, F/7). Cobie Vance (2B) – 0-1, 2 BB. Dayton 5, Lansing 3 (Gm 2, F/7). Cobie Vance (RF) – 0-3. Boston 3, Tampa Bay 2. David Robertson – 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K. Schaumburg 11, Gateway 5. Sam Gardner (L, 4-3) – 4 IP, 9 R, 10 H, 4 BB, 3 K. Hillsboro 7, Eugene 2. Brett Auerbach (2B) - 0-3, 1 BB, 1 SB, 1 run, 1 error. Charleston 19, Columbia 10. Peyton Wilson (2B) – 1-4, 1 single, 1 run, 1 error. Sioux Falls 2, Kansas City Monarchs 0. Morgan McCullough (SS) – 0-3, 1 BB, 1 error. Ogden 11, Rocky Mountain 1. Kyle Kaufman (C) – 1-5, 1 single.